When “Smyrna AM Editor“, Taylor Loyal asked me to write a Blog I really didn’t know what to write about, but as Taylor would say I’m never at a loss for words. Rutherford County is fortunate to have an opportunity to use this forum and share ideas and hopefully impact others in a positive way.
My late father Sam Sparks was stationed at Sewart Air Force base, thus I was born at the old base hospital (now Smyrna Airport) and raised in Smyrna, Tennessee. My wife Felicia and I have been married for over twenty years and have two sons, Preston and Payton.
Serving Smyrna and Rutherford County as a Commissioner for District 11 and serving on the Smyrna Municipal Planning Committee is fulfilling in many ways. We can’t sit by and watch our country’s problems. We have to do something! Consider for a moment the following problems: a falling dollar, jobs moving overseas, rising fuel prices, declining moral values (that cost you in higher taxes; for example more prisons, police officers, etc.), countless layoffs, sky rocketing foreclosures, deadbeat parents, an “epidemic” drug problem, gang problems and other social “ills”.
The good thing about getting older is you realize your father was right after all. He preached to me about staying out of debt and your word is your bond, our country has sure strayed away from that philosophy. Everyone seems to blame the Country’s problems on Congress or the President, but many times local government and it’s decisions (or lack thereof) impact our lives more so than the federal and state governments. In Luke 12:48 it states “To whom much is given, much is also required”. Many times I’ve watched so called “leaders” who have served for several years never speaking out on issues and only looking for new ways to increase taxes, fees or bureaucracy.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.” —Teddy Roosevelt
You’re most likely to see me around town at:
On the weekends I love to:
- Spend time wife my wife (smart answer, right?)
- Work to improve one of our businesses
- Worship with my family and friends at Parkway Baptist Church
- Visit the YMCA (when I can!)
- Read (I am currently reading …)
My favorite high school, college and pro sports teams are:
- Smyrna High School Bulldogs
- Atlanta Braves baseball heard on WGNS 1450AM/100.5FM Radio
- If I’m watching a movie or listening to music, it’s probably: Doobie Brothers, Peter Frampton, 38 Special, Four80East, smooth Jazz (hey, you got to try it!), Little River Band (my sons say it old people’s music)
I am passionate about:
- Teaching kids to make good choices in life
- “Thinking outside the box”
- Classic cars
- Improving efficiencies and services in county Government and avoiding waste.
- I believe government should be run like a business. What upsets me the most is people who whine about everything and do nothing about it (and they are usually the ones who never vote!). More people should get involved in the process and voice their opinion. Just ask yourself, “Will the next generation be better off than ours?”